Garden Egg Stew also known as Nigerian eggplant sauce is one of those delicious recipes that tastes great with all kinds of side dishes. Here is how to make Nigerian garden egg stew!
Sell and buy food and drinks on Fufatrade.ng Nigeria’s latest online marketplace
What you will need
- 15 Thai eggplants aka green garden-egg
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 1 large white onion
- ¼ cup palm oil
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper chopped
- 340 g smoked mackerel the equivalent of one large mackerel skinned and deboned
- 1 tsp chicken/ vegetable bullion
- 1 small handful of Clove basil aka Nigerian scent leaf/Thai basil
- Salt to taste
- Optional: 2 tbsp dried shrimp – Nigerians
- Optional: Extra dried chilli-pepper
- To prep the garden eggs/eggplants , take off the stems, wash and quarter each then boil in salted water for 10- 15 minutes.
- While the garden eggs/eggplants are boiling, slice the onions into half-moons, dice the tomatoes, roughly chop the basil, and flake the fish.
- Once the garden eggs/eggplants are fork tender, drain them, and mash them with a potato masher or a fork. They should be the consistency of crushed tomatoes, only slightly chunky.
- In a deep saucepan, heat up the palm oil for 2 minutes (be careful not to heat the oil for too long or over high heat, unless the oil will bleach), and gently sauté the onions and scotch bonnet peppers until it is softened and starting to brown ever so lightly on the edges of the onions.
- Add in the tomatoes, and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until the sauce thickens, and the oil starts to raise to the top.
- Add in the mashed eggplant, and continue cooking on low-medium heat for five minutes.
- Add in the smoked mackerel, dried shrimp, and bullion, stir and continue to simmer on low heat.
- At this point, taste the stew, and adjust for salt, and if you are like me add some extra dry pepper for a little bit more heat. Stir in the chopped basil, and turn off the heat.
- Serve warm with a side of your favorite carbs.
Start and grow your business fast with the Fufatrade mobile app