Nigerian Stewed Beans is a Nigerian Beans recipe made with Honey or Black Eyed Beans. Stewed Beans is quite similar to the popular Beans Pottage, the main difference being the addition of ground fresh pepper.
- 3 cups cleaned beans (brown or black eyed)
- 1/3 cup palm oil
- 2 tbspn coconut oil (optional)
- 1 large onion (minced)
- 1 cup stew base (substitute 1-2 tbspns ground pepper)*
- 1 tspn ginger powder
- 1/3 cup crayfish powder
- 2 maggi cubes (optional)
- Salt – to taste
blend 2 bell peppers, 1 hot pepper and 1/2 small onion as an alternative.
- Soak the beans in lots of water. and leave it for up to 24hrs. Strain.
- Place a large pot on medium-low heat, add in beans. Add in 6-8 cups of water. Simmer for 1 hour or until beans is soft to the touch. Turn off the heat and leave the beans in water while you make the sauce
- Place another pan on medium heat, add in palm oil and coconut oil if using. Add in chopped onion. Fry until onion is well fried and golden.
- Add in stew base, ginger, crayfish, maggi and salt. Simmer covered for 12-15 minutes
- Strain the beans (but reserve the water).
Remove 1/3 of the cooked beans from the strainer, mash until smooth. Add both mashed and unmashed beans into the sauce. Add 1-1.5 cups strained beans water. Stir. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Cover and leave to cook for 30 more mins on low-medium heat.
Promote Your Business for free on Fufatrade Mall