Brewing beer at home is easy if you can make milkshakes and cheese from the box without help then you can easily produce your home made beer.
There are basic steps.
Gather your brewing equipment. You’ll need:
- Beer Recipe Kit (or individual ingredients)
- Fermenter + Air Lock
- Brewing Kettle
- Stir Spoon
You are free to make use of any equipment of your choice which is easy to access and operate. Also you want to keep your equipment’s clean before and after use and during use what ever equipment that comes in contact with your beer during boiling process you must sanitize immediately before it is used again. Chlorine bleach is a good glass equipment sanitizer, but of limited usage for plastic, since chlorine can be absorbed by the plastic, leading to mouldy flavours in your beer. For sanitizing, apply at a rate of about 2 ½ tablespoons per 5 gallons of water, let the solution soak for about 5 minutes.( PBW and Star San etc).
Next step is to Brew.
- Steep Grains – A filled up 5-gallon brew kettle. 2.5 gallons of water, steep your grains for 20 minutes as you heat your water( until it reaches 170 degrees.) and they take out the grains and let it drain down into the kettle without a squeeze to avoid unwanted flavours emerging in your beer (e.g tannins extract).
- Bring kettle to a boil – after you have reached and rolling boil remove it from heat and add the malt extract and when extract is dissolved then return to a boil and add at various intervals the hops and please be guarded not to over boil after you have added your hops.
- perforated –known also as sugar water cool quickly in the best way you can e.g; (a)- Ice Bath – place pot in a bowl filled with iced-water. (b)-A wort chiller a wort chiller is a very effective put your chiller in your wort and run water cold water through out into the bowl.
At this point all supplies should be sanitize.
- Put chilled wort into the fermenter.
- Add water until level 5 gallons.
- Splash wort around the container to enable the yeast get oxygen a good splashing of the wort would help achieve this.
- Add yeast-Dry yeast is the easiest, with a sanitized blade cut off a side of the yeast pack after sanitizing the entire pack and pure it into the fermenter.
- properly seal/lock your fermenter, store in a dark cool place at 68 degrees to ferment properly add a fermentation air-lock.
fermentation takes within two weeks after this period of time then its time to bottle your beer.
- Keep every material clean e.g- bucket for bottling, bottle caps, bottle filler, and any hoses used and use your bottle brush on your bottles.
- in 16 oz of water cook your priming sugar, and when it is cool, add it directly to the bottling bucket.
- Then turn your beer out of the fermenter into the bottling bucket.
- fill into the bottles but first attach bottle filler to the hose and push bottle filler to the bottom of the bottle.
Fill up all bottles to its tip don’t worry when you take out the filler you it would leave the perfect amount of space at the top of the bottle.
Well-done You made beer.
NOW ALL YOU NEED DO IS……
1. Refrigerate. (Get your various refrigerator here…..)